You can claim DLA if you need help with getting around or help with care. This applies to both adults and children. Including ADHD and Autism and no formal diagnosis needed but the more information you can provide especially with people who support you such as a SENCO, physiotherapist, speech therapist or carer.

For any one who receives the middle rate of carers on DLA some one who helps you can claim carers allowance if they help look after you or care for you more then 30 hours a week, don't earn more then £110 a week, not a full time student and are 16 or over.

If you are getting the mobility component of DLA /PIP then you can apply for a blue badge no matter if the car is through mobility or not. Contact your local council for more information.

As well as the blue badge you can also apply for free car tax for any vehicle you use to get around whether the car is in your name or not.

If you are getting mobility component of DLA / PIP you can apply for a mobility car with many of them 0% deposit and not all will take your full weekly allowance for payment.

Help with Adaptions

Here is the link to do with grants for disabled adaptations. It does not mention driveways but it would still be worth speaking to them regarding this,


Armed forces and veterans -Here is a link to information on benefits and concessions for The Armed Forces, Veterans, and their families. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/…/benefits-and-concessio…/

Low income

This might be of some help. Information on various grants if you are on a low income. http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/grants-low-income

Access To Education

.Disabled Services at Sunderland University

The Service provides advice, information, and guidance to:

  • disabled students

  • students with mental illness or mental health difficulties

  • students with a Specific Learning Difficulty (SpLD) such as dyslexia.



LOOKING FOR WORK? - If you are on JSA or ESA and need help to get clothes for an interview then ask your adviser about the flexible support fund. They may be able to help with the cost of a shirt, tie and trousers maybe shoes or a blouse and skirt for that purpose

LOOKING FOR WORK? You might be able to get help with the cost of attending interviews if you are unemployed or under the threat of redundancy. The job you applied for must be 16 hours or more per week and expected to last for more than three months.

The job must not be:

seasonal, temporary or a short-term fixed contract
Assistance can not be given towards the cost of travel to job fairs or open invitation recruitment events.

This is not a complete list of conditions and you should always contact an employment adviser in a Jobs and Benefits office/ JobCentre to discuss your application before any journeys are undertaken.

You may be able to get a Job Grant of £100 for single or couples without children or £250 for lone parents or couples with children if you are moving directly from benefit into work of at least 16 hours a week. This could be starting a new job, increasing the hours you work in an existing job or having a combination of jobs.

You may also get a Job Grant if your partner starts working at least 24 hours a week and as a result, your benefit stops.

The work must be expected to last for at least five weeks, and you must tell Social Security or Jobs & Benefits office within 21 days of starting work.

You must also have been claiming one or a combination of the following benefits for at least 26 weeks immediately before moving into work:

Jobseeker's Allowance
Income Support
Incapacity Benefit
Employment and Support Allowance
Severe Disablement Allowance
Training Allowance payments where the allowance is based on Jobseeker's Allowance, Income Support, Incapacity Benefit, Employment and Support Allowance or Severe Disablement Allowance
Any period where you are not entitled to a payment of benefit does not count towards the 26 week qualifying period.

You will not get a Job Grant if:

you have been signing as unemployed to receive your National Insurance contributions only
you have been sending in medical evidence to receive your National Insurance contributions only.


Sky offer help with an accessibility team as well as subtitles find information here


Tv licence

You can get 50% off the cost of your TV licence if either:

  • you’re registered blind or severely sight impaired

  • you live with someone who is registered blind or severely sight impaired

If the person who is registered blind is not the current licence holder for your address, you’ll need to transfer the licence to their name.

This will explain how to apply


Access To Work

Access to work helps anyone with a disability back into work.

An Access to Work grant can pay for practical support if you have a disability, health or mental health condition to help you:

  • start working

  • stay in work

  • move into self-employment or start a business

The grant is not for business start-up costs.

How much you get depends on your circumstances.

The money doesn’t have to be paid back and will not affect your other benefits.


School Children

Local authorities offer a range of travel support for young people. These include:

Home to School Transport

 At a minimum, this covers pupils traveling more than 2 miles (for those under 8 years of age), pupils traveling more than 3 miles (for those aged 8 or over) and those unable to walk to school due to their Special Educational Needs.

Extended Rights to Free Home to School Transport

There is an additional entitlement to free travel for children from low-income families (that is those entitled to free school meals or whose parents receive the maximum working tax credit). Local authorities were allocated around £38 million in 2013-14 to provide this transport.

For more information go to https://www.gov.uk/help-home-school-transport to see if your local council offers this

Wheel Chair Assessments

Since the abolishment of the Independent living fund, councils are now responsible for there own services to help the disabled and elderly live independently.

There is now Sunderland Care and Support. this is what their website states.

Sunderland Care and Support aims to give advice and support to people who may need help because of their age, an illness, a disability or learning difficulty.

It enables people to live as independently as possible at home or in the community.

Some people may have to pay towards the cost of the services they receive.

The link can be found here http://www.sunderlandcareands

ICE Cards

Plain and simple, an ICE card is a card you carry with you everywhere you go. If you are ever in an emergency situation and are unable to speak for yourself, your ICE card holds all the important information required by first responder's to ensure your medical needs are properly and safely met. It also holds the contact details of the people you’ve selected to be notified – just as the card says - in case of emergency. Cards are supplied in packs with matching Key Rings and stickers which help to alert the first responder's that you are carrying an ICE card.

You can have them for health issues, ASD, Asthma in fact any medical emergency that you think is relevant

The card is made of durable PVC with a fully writable reverse surface. Card dimensions are 54 x 86mm with a thickness of only 0.76mm (Same as your bank card). The ICEcard has been designed with the advice of first aid professionals, and with simplicity in mind. The words ‘IN CASE OF EMERGENCY’ are displayed in the bright, bold text along the top right-hand corner of the card along with with the International (ISO) symbol for First Aid.

pack contents

1 x AUTISM CHILD ICE Card with writable reverse
2 x Matching key rings
2 x STANDARD ICE vinyl stickers 40mm high x 28mm wide
1 x Gift sleeve with 'TO' and 'FROM' spaces to personalize for gift-giving

Prices start from £5.99 and can be found using the following link http://www.icecard.co.uk/