Council Tax

if you are disabled and have a room in your house that has been adapted for your use such as a wet room then you can apply for a discount off your council tax of up to 25%.

Discounts for full-time students

Households, where everyone’s a full-time student, don’t have to pay Council Tax. If you do get a bill, you can apply for an exemption.

To count as a full-time student, your course must:

  • last at least 1 year

  • involve at least 21 hours of study per week

If you study for a qualification up to A level and you’re under 20, your course must:

  • last at least 3 months

  • involve at least 12 hours of study per week

You’ll get a Council Tax bill if there’s someone in your household who’s not a full-time student, but your household might still qualify for a discount.

Jobcentre plus discount travel card

This is provided to those unemployed claiming Jobseekers Allowance or Universal Credit for 3-9 months (18-24-year-olds) or 3-12 months (over 25s). Other benefit recipients may receive a Jobcentre Plus Travel Discount Card from 3 months of their claim and if they are actively engaged with a Jobcentre Plus adviser. Cardholders are entitled to a 50% discount on selected rail tickets.

Tax Credits

if you are claiming DLA/PIP for yourself, partner or a child and receive tax credits you are entitled to a disability premium. Get in touch with Tax Credits for more help and information

Merlin's magic wand charity helps families with disabled children & adults with the cost of family days out for more information click on the link below

Family Fund

The family fund gives grants to families raising disabled and seriously ill children aged 17 and under.

You can find news and application on the link below.

Flexible support fund

May be used at the discretion of Jobcentre Plus staff to help with the cost of traveling to an interview, training or for the first months of traveling to work.

Get in touch with your local jobcentre plus for more information.

Vehicle tax exemption


You can apply for exemption from paying vehicle tax if you get them:

The vehicle must be registered in the disabled person’s name or their nominated driver’s name.

It must only be used for the disabled person’s personal needs. It cannot be used by the nominated driver for their own personal use.

You can only have one vehicle tax exemption at any one time.

How to claim

You claim the exemption when you apply for vehicle tax.

If you’re claiming for a vehicle for the first time, you have to claim at a Post Office. You must do this every time you change your vehicle.

Vehicle tax reduction


You can get a 50% reduction in vehicle tax if you get the PIP standard rate mobility component.

You cannot get a reduction for getting the DLA lower rate mobility component.

How to claim

You must include the following with your application:

  • a letter or statement from the Department for Work and Pensions that shows your PIP rate and the dates you’re getting it

  • the vehicle logbook (V5C)

  • V10 form

  • an original MOT or GVT certificate (if your vehicle needs one)

  • a cheque or payable order (made out to ‘DVLA, Swansea’) for 50% of the full rate of car tax for the vehicle

  • an insurance certificate or cover note (if you live in Northern Ireland)

  • Do not send your PIP assessment or any other medical information with your application.

  • If you’ve just bought the vehicle and it’s not registered in your name yet, you’ll need to complete a V62 form and include the green ‘new keeper’ slip from the logbook with your application.

  • Send the documents to:

  • DVLA 
    SA99 1DZ 


Motability may be able to provide financial help, otherwise known as a ‘grant’, to Scheme customers who would otherwise struggle to afford the mobility solution they need.

The Charity considers every inquiry and application for help individually and take into account a wide range of factors, including, but not limited to:

  • Your disability or impairment and how it impacts your mobility

  • Your household circumstances

  • Any equipment you need to regularly travel with

  • Your financial means

Motability will not always be able to provide you with all the help you would like but will always try to help you manage your mobility needs.

If you already have a Scheme vehicle that meets your needs, they will not consider an application for financial help towards a new vehicle. 

Motability can provide charitable grants towards:

  • Car adaptations - such as wheelchair hoists and Infra-Red controls.

  • Vehicle Advance Payments - often for larger more expensive vehicles. driving lessons - ensuring disabled people have access to driving tuition in specially adapted cars.